Beautiful Creatures is a film that starts off creatively strong, but falls into the trap many of its genre face: heavy exposition and little character development. There’s a large, talented ensemble here, led by Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson, and Viola Davis, each with standout scenes. Yet this becomes a film of increasingly loud substance with emphasis on plot points that become slightly repetitive; these are compelling characters when interacting outside of the central plot, but it becomes bogged down by its own weight. The film delivers an emotionally impactful conclusion, very much so, but the journey there is rough, if inconsistently rewarding.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Movie Review July 7, 2016
- The Witch – Movie Review February 21, 2016
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 19, Bear Reviews Edition: Ringu October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 18: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 17: The Cabin in the Woods October 17, 2015