Evil Dead is a gruesome spectacle that lacks the charm of the original, but it holds up as a sufficient horror film that wants to be gross rather than scare. Its plot and characters are remarkably weaker than the original, losing a lot of the bite that a character like Ashley had (granted, Bruce Campbell did wonders there). There are some delightfully disgusting bits here that are genuinely terrifying; my problem rose from the fact that the movie is defined by those moments, never rising above them and instead just repeating them. It becomes exhausting, almost like an endurance test for a viewer; I understand the intention of doing such a thing, for the film challenges its characters to their core, but the movie lacks depth with its wondrous effects. Evil Dead ultimately feels fun, but unnecessary.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Movie Review July 7, 2016
- The Witch – Movie Review February 21, 2016
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 19, Bear Reviews Edition: Ringu October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 18: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 17: The Cabin in the Woods October 17, 2015