Mama is an odd little film, a movie that seemingly wants to be a fairy tale, old-fashioned horror, a psychological thriller, and…a mess, I suppose. The creative energy is quite remarkable, for they have crafted a compelling tale that also feels stretched; this premise is intriguing, but it feels like a 30-minute tale made into 100. Guillermo del Toro has produced better work, and Jessica Chastain has done better films. This is a modest movie, one not filled with scares but ideas. It’s not a horror film, I don’t think; it’s not scary, not entirely engaging, but not bad in any sense of the word.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Movie Review July 7, 2016
- The Witch – Movie Review February 21, 2016
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 19, Bear Reviews Edition: Ringu October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 18: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 17: The Cabin in the Woods October 17, 2015