Steven Soderbergh is one of the finest talents working today, so it’s a shame that his final film, Side Effects, is such a profound mess. We’re given a truly talented cast, mixed with an intriguing premise, and a first half that really builds up something big, but the constant twists in the film’s closing act give us everything but resolution. Character motivations go out the window, twists seem to happen just for the sake of it, and the film’s closing shot lacks the biting power it should. There’s a really good commentary lying within this film, but it’s certainly not here.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Movie Review July 7, 2016
- The Witch – Movie Review February 21, 2016
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 19, Bear Reviews Edition: Ringu October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 18: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 17: The Cabin in the Woods October 17, 2015