The Croods has a lot going on visually and creatively, but it’s also entirely pointless in its presentation and narrative drive. The movie feels like a weird combination of The Simpsons and The Flintstones, in that it uses elements from both and doesn’t seem to understand that it’s stealing the character types and not doing anything new with the material. This is a lush, beautiful, wonderfully colorful feature, but it’s also in 3D, which looks fine but ultimately does nothing for a viewer. There’s a great voice cast here, too, but the problems lie within the film’s story; that is, what I can even make of it. There’s little character development, and Emma Stone in the lead is utterly wasted despite her great talents, and the film relies on physical humor so heavily that, while at first inventive and fun, it becomes derivative and boring.
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – Movie Review July 7, 2016
- The Witch – Movie Review February 21, 2016
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 19, Bear Reviews Edition: Ringu October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 18: Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood October 20, 2015
- Halloween-A-Thon Day 17: The Cabin in the Woods October 17, 2015